Melrose Arts District Coronavirus Updates & Resources

The impact of Coronavirus continues to evolve rapidly around the world. At the Melrose Arts District, we feel responsible for the wellbeing of our visitors, stakeholders and employees. We want you to know that your health is a top priority for us. We would also like to provide you with all the information that is currently available re: the spread of the virus and resources available to help businesses that are struggling.

First, we encourage you to sign up for NotifyLA, our City’s emergency alerts system, which is pushing out updates about COVID-19 prevention. Please encourage your family and friends to do the same.

New Entry, Updated 03/23/2020:

Federal Coronavirus Small Business Assistance

If you need cash to offset lost revenue and help keep your business afloat, the programs below can help. The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) coronavirus resource page provides a list of relief programs, and it offers guidance to small business owners during this crisis.

SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program

As part of its disaster assistance program, the SBA is providing low-interest working capital loans of up to $2 million to small businesses and nonprofits affected by the coronavirus.

These loans carry an interest rate of 3.75% for small businesses and 2.75% for nonprofits. Loan repayment terms vary by applicant, up to a maximum of 30 years. 

Who’s Eligible

  • As of March 23, businesses in every state plus American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands can apply.
  • You can use the loan to cover accounts payable, debts, payroll and other bills the coronavirus has affected your ability to pay.

How to Apply

  • Apply online and select “Economic Injury” as the reason you’re seeking assistance. 
  • You’ll need to supply required supporting documentation that could include the business’s most recent tax returns, a personal financial statement and a schedule of liabilities that lists all your current debts. 
  • Call the SBA Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 for help with your application.

State and Local Coronavirus Small Business Assistance

States and municipalities are adding programs by the day. Check your governor’s website for up-to-date information about relief available in your area. The National Governors Association offers a list of governors’ websites


Property Tax Payments

Tax collectors have issued notices saying they don’t have the power to waive the property tax deadline — even though tax offices are being closed to the public. But local officials will consider waiving late fees on a case-by-case basis for those unable to pay on time because they are ill or out of work because of the coronavirus outbreak. The April 10th date is a statutory deadline set by the state.  It cannot be moved without state intervention.

San Francisco COVID-19 Small Business Resiliency Fund

Businesses with between one and five employees can apply for up to $10,000 in emergency funding to help cover rent and employee salaries.

  • Who’s eligible: You must show that you lost 25% or more of your revenue, that you have less than $2.5 million in gross receipts and that you’re properly licensed to operate in San Francisco.
  • How to apply: The quickest way is to fill out an online application form and email it to You’ll need to supply proof of payroll costs and lost revenue.

The City of San Francisco has also initiated a moratorium on evictions for small- and medium-sized businesses whose revenue has been affected by the coronavirus. It’s effective for 30 days starting March 17, and the mayor has the capability to extend it for another 30 days. 

City of Los Angeles Small Business Emergency Microloan Program

Businesses and microenterprises in Los Angeles that are responsible for providing low-income jobs can get an emergency microloan of $5,000 to $20,000. Loans with repayment terms of six months to one year carry an interest rate of 0% and five-year loans have interest rates of 3% to 5%. 

  • Who’s eligible: To get a loan, you must meet requirements including having “reasonable and responsible” individual credit history, committing to use the loan for working capital only and ensuring your business is located within the City of Los Angeles. If you own 20% or more of the business, you must guarantee the loan.
  • How to apply: Apply online and provide supporting documentation including business and personal tax returns, three months of bank statements and business and personal financial statements.

Los Angeles has also instituted a moratorium on evictions of businesses impacted by the coronavirus through March 31.

EDD Work Sharing Program

Employers can apply for the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Work Sharing Program if reduced production, services, or other conditions cause them to seek an alternative to layoffs.

The Work Sharing Program helps employees whose hours and wages have been reduced:

  • Receive UI benefits.
  • Keep their current job.
  • Avoid financial hardships.

The Work Sharing Program helps employers:

  • Minimize or eliminate the need for layoffs.
  • Keep trained employees and quickly prepare when business conditions improve.
  • Avoid the cost of recruiting, hiring, and training new employees.


To participate, employers must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be a legally registered business in California.
  • Have an active California State Employer Account Number.
  • At least 10 percent of the employer’s regular workforce or a unit of the workforce, and a minimum of two employees, must be affected by a reduction in hours and wages.
  • Hours and wages must be reduced by at least 10 percent and not exceed 60 percent.
  • Health benefits must remain the same as before, or they must meet the same standards as other employees who are not participating in Work Sharing.
  • Retirement benefits must meet the same terms and conditions as before, or they must meet the same as other employees not participating in Work Sharing.
  • The collective bargaining agent of employees in a bargaining unit must agree to voluntarily participate and sign the application for Work Sharing.
  • Identify the affected work units to be covered by the Work Sharing plan and identify each participating employee by their full name and Social Security number.
  • Notify employees in advance of the intent to participate in the Work Sharing program.
  • Identify how many layoffs will be avoided by participating in the Work Sharing program.
  • Provide the EDD with any necessary reports or documents relating to the Work Sharing plan.


  • Leased, intermittent, seasonal, or temporary service employees cannot participate in the Work Sharing Program.
  • Corporate officers or major stock holders with investment in the company cannot participate in the Work Sharing Program.
  • The Work Sharing Program cannot be used as a transition to a layoff.

Plan Application

Apply for a Work Sharing plan by completing and mailing the Work Sharing (WS) Unemployment Insurance Plan Application (DE 8686) (PDF) .

The earliest date for a new Work Sharing plan to become effective is the Sunday before the first date you contact the EDD. All Work Sharing plans are approved for one year.

Employers can renew a Work Sharing plan by completing and mailing the Work Sharing (WS) Unemployment Insurance Plan Application (DE 8686) (PDF). A Work Sharing plan will be renewed the day after your previous plan expires.

Note: Your plan application will only renew if it is submitted no more than 10 days after your previous plan has expired. Otherwise, your plan will become effective the Sunday before the date we receive your application.

Contact Us

If you need additional information on the Work Sharing Program, contact the EDD Special Claims Office at 916-464-3343. 


Work Sharing Application (DE 8686)

Unemployment Insurance An Alternative to Layoffs: Work Sharing (DE 2329) (PDF)

FAQs – Work Sharing Information for Employees

A Guide For Work Sharing Employers (DE 8684) (PDF)

Original Entry, Updated 03/21/2020:

Then, following is a list of resources to help stay informed about the Coronavirus outbreak:


Small businesses and restaurants have been especially hard hit by the virus and the Order For the Control of COVID-19. Following is a list of resources available to businesses and restaurants:

Notes: Both Type 41 and 47 ABC licenses (beer/wine for restaurants and full liquor for restaurants) permit beer and wine for off-site consumption UNLESS their Conditional Use Permit CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL or ABC license CONDITIONS specifically PROHIBITS off-site sales. The ABC may even be lifting conditions restricting off-site sales soon – will keep you posted.

  • ABC just posted some regulatory relief: Retailers Exercising Off-Sale PrivilegesRelevant section: Licensees with on-sale privileges may sell those alcoholic beverages for off-sale consumption in manufacturer pre-packaged containers as to which their license permits on-sale consumption. For example, a Type 47 restaurant may sell beer, wine, and distilled spirits for off-sale consumption, regardless of any condition on its license to the contrary and regardless of the statutory prohibition against on-sale licensees selling distilled spirits for off-sale consumption. Similarly, a Type 41 beer and wine licensed restaurant may sell beer and wine, but not distilled spirits, for consumption off the premises regardless of any conditions on its license that prohibit such sales.

Type 41 – On Sale Beer & Wine – Eating Place:

(Restaurant) Authorizes the sale of beer and wine for consumption on or off the premises where sold. Distilled spirits may not be on the premises (except brandy, rum, or liqueurs for use solely for cooking purposes). Must operate and maintain the licensed premises as a bona fide eating place. Must maintain suitable kitchen facilities, and must make actual and substantial sales of meals for consumption on the premises. Minors are allowed on the premises.

Type 47 – On Sale General – Eating Place:

(Restaurant) Authorizes the sale of beer, wine and distilled spirits for consumption on the license’s premises. Authorizes the sale of beer and wine for consumption off the license’s premises. Must operate and maintain the licensed premises as a bona fide eating place. Must maintain suitable kitchen facilities and must make actual and substantial sales of meals for consumption on the premises. Minors are allowed on the premises.

For those licensees permitted to sell food and alcoholic beverages for consumption off the premises (including on-sale licenses with off-sale privileges), you should follow the specific guidance from State and local health officials.  Some of that guidance is accessible through the following links:

Other Local Resource Guides