LATEST UPDATE (updated 06/23/2020)

The Office of Mayor Eric Garcetti is proud to share the LA Represents initiative, a pro bono legal assistance program designed to help small businesses weather the COVID-19 crisis and hasten economic recovery. Mayor Garcetti and City Attorney Mike Feuer have partnered w/ Bet Tzedek Legal Services and assembled a coalition of law firms, bar associations, and attorneys to provide free assistance to businesses confronted with legal questions stemming from the pandemic such as workplace regulations, government relief programs, compliance with emergency health orders, and commercial lease problems.

They have already found high quality legal representation for 80 businesses with urgent COVID-related issues and would love to assist more.

Eligibility requirements: Business owners whose current household income is less than $8,500 per month AND who have less than $50,000 in liquid assets (cash, bonds, etc.). You can visit the City’s Page about LA Represents to learn more.

LATEST UPDATE (updated 06/19/2020)

The State & SBA are offering loans and other assistance for those that suffered from the civil unrest. Attached are their Three Step flyer, CA 16485 Fact Sheet and a flyer on resource partners. Their website to apply for the home or business loan is

For additional information or questions, you may also contact the SBA’s virtual outreach center at 916 735-1500 or by email at You may also contact their Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955.

Click Button To Download Document:

1. The Three Step Process: Disaster Loans


3. U.S. Small Business Administration’s California Resource Partners


LATEST UPDATE (updated 06/16/2020)

In an effort to offset the challenges presented by looting and property defacement that occurred during recent public demonstrations,
the Mayor’s Office will be partnering with the Painter’s and Allied Trades District #36 to provide free paint repairs to affected small businesses.

Please use the link below if interested.

LATEST UPDATE (updated 06/09/2020)



The Los Angeles County Office of Emergency Management is asking all business owners who suffered physical damage or economic injury due to recent civil unrest to register online so that they can be connected to future disaster aid, as it becomes available from state and federal sources.

“Disaster recovery is a multi-layered process, but all efforts always start with clearly capturing the extent of damages and losses suffered in our County,” stated Kevin McGowan, Director of the Los Angeles County Office of Emergency Management. “We’ve developed a short online survey tool that both gathers that information and helps us create a registry of business owners so that we can directly communicate with them as future disaster aid resources become available.”

The short online survey is available online by clicking here or visiting A series of questions asks business owners to enter basic business identification information, including a short description of damages suffered and photos to document those damages.

Business owners who do not have access to the internet, have limited computer proficiency or speak languages other than English may instead contact the County’s Disaster Help Center at (833) 238-4450. Multilingual business counselors are standing by to assist business owners in completing the survey Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

More information about disaster recovery resources and support currently available to Los Angeles County business owners is available online at

LATEST UPDATES (updated 06/05/2020)

Storefront Board-Up Resources

Below is a list of local storefront board-up companies in case you need to protect your business.

Board-Ups Unlimited

AAA Board-Up, Inc.

Los Angeles 24/7 Board-Up Service

ASAP Board-Up

Pro Board-Up

The Board-Up Company

Emergency Board-Up Services

Hollywood Board-Up Company


The impact of Coronavirus continues to evolve rapidly around the world. At the Melrose Arts District, we feel responsible for the wellbeing of our visitors, stakeholders and employees. We want you to know that your health is a top priority for us. We would also like to provide you with all the information that is currently available re: the spread of the virus and resources available to help businesses that are struggling.

First, we encourage you to sign up for NotifyLA, our City’s emergency alerts system, which is pushing out updates about COVID-19 prevention. Please encourage your family and friends to do the same.

LATEST UPDATES (updated 05/06/2020)

Yesterday, Mayor Eric Garcetti announced that he and City Attorney Mike Feuer have assembled a coalition of law firms, bar associations and attorneys who will provide COVID-19-related legal services, including help for vulnerable tenants, domestic violence victims and low income individuals with employment, consumer debt, and bankruptcy matters.

If you are a small business that needs legal services as you confront new workplace regulations, renegotiate commercial leases, apply for government relief programs, and navigate compliance with emergency health and safety orders, LA Represents can help you as well. Please visit:

LATEST UPDATES (updated 04/27/2020)

A new round of funding for Small Businesses COVID-19 relief has just been approved and will once again open for applications. The Small Business Administration resumed accepting PPP loan applications today, Monday, April 27 at 10:30AM EDT, from approved lenders on behalf of any eligible borrower. This will ensure that SBA has properly coded the system to account for changes made by the legislation.

The Paycheck Protection Program (“PPP”) gives forgivable loans to small businesses to pay their employees during the COVID-19 crisis. All loan terms will be the same for everyone. The loan amounts will be forgiven as long as:

  • The loan proceeds are used to cover payroll costs, and most mortgage interest, rent, and utility costs over the 8 week period after the loan is made; and
  • Employee and compensation levels are maintained.
  • Payroll costs are capped at $100,000 on an annualized basis for each employee.

Payroll costs are capped at $100,000 on an annualized basis for each employee.

Due to likely high subscription, it is anticipated that not more than 25% of the forgiven amount may be for non-payroll costs. Loan payments will be deferred for 6 months.

Where can I apply? You can apply through any existing SBA lender or through any federally insured depository institution, federally insured credit union, and Farm Credit System institution that is participating. Other regulated lenders will be available to make these loans once they are approved and enrolled in the program. You should consult with your local lender as to whether it is participating. Visit for a list of SBA lenders.

Who can apply? All businesses – including nonprofits, veterans organizations, Tribal business concerns, sole proprietorships, self-employed individuals, and independent contractors – with 500 or fewer employees can apply. Businesses in certain industries can have more than 500 employees if they meet applicable SBA employee-based size standards for those industries.

Click Button To Download:

1. PPP Application: Use PPP-Borrower-Application

2. List of PPP Lenders: Use Lenders participating in PPP by state

3. PPP FAQs: Use Final PPP FAQs


LATEST UPDATES (updated 04/24/2020)


The County of Los Angeles is regularly updating resources on COVID-19 and offers updates in an effort to keep you and yours informed.

Now Available: Special Enrollment-Period for Health Care Coverage due to COVID-19

Have you lost your health insurance due to COVID-19? If you’ve recently lost your coverage or will soon lose it, Covered California has issued a special-enrollment period for those impacted by income changes, reduced hours or lay off due to COVID-19.

If the following circumstances apply to you, you may be eligible for health care coverage through Covered CA:

  • You’ve lost Medi-Cal coverage
  • You’ve lost your employer-sponsored coverage
  • Your COBRA coverage is exhausted
  • You are no longer eligible for student health coverage

To learn if you’re eligible, visit Covered CA. To apply, you may apply online or call a Covered CA Certified Insurance Agent or Navigator for free and confidential enrollment help.

Those without access to the Internet can call Covered CA’s Service Center at 1-800-300-1506 for assistance with determining eligibility and/or applying for health care coverage.

If you’re not eligible for Covered CA health coverage, you may be eligible for health insurance through LA County’s My Health LA (MHLA). MHLA is a no-cost health care program for individuals or families who do not have and cannot get health insurance. For assistance over the phone with MHLA, call 1-844-744-6452 from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM (Monday through Friday

Additional Resources

For additional information, please visit:

LATEST UPDATES (updated 04/21/2020)

Small Business Grants Program:
Facebook is making $100M in cash grants and ad credits available to small businesses as of tomorrow morning (Wednesday, April 22) for about 2 weeks,
or as long as funds last. Visit their Small Business Grants Program page at Details about the loan are below:

LATEST UPDATES (updated 04/15/2020)

Small Business Owners:

The County of Los Angeles in partnership with Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses initiative and Community Reinvestment Fund, USA (CRF) has created a new application portal for small businesses seeking to apply for the federal Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), a forgivable loan product created by the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

The online portal will open TODAY, April 15th at 1pm and can be accessed at

Business owners who access the application portal will initially submit an inquiry with CRF. Business owners should be prepared to provide information on their business. After successfully submitting an inquiry, loan processors at CRF will follow up directly with business owners to obtain necessary documents and information to process the loan request.  All eligible business owners who have been unable to apply for a PPP loan through a bank or other financial institutions are encouraged to submit an inquiry. We urge you to apply at your earliest opportunity. If you have any questions, please contact the Los Angeles County Disaster Help Center at 833-238-4450.”

LATEST UPDATES (updated 04/14/2020)

New Small Business Tools as of April 14, 2020

A. LA County Business & Worker Disaster Help Center: https://LACountyHelpCenter.Org

New county program providing help for businesses and workers.

Requirements for loan applications:

  • Business must be in the City of Los Angeles
  • Business must have a Business Tax Registration Certificate (BTRC) with the City of Los Angeles’ Office of Finance that was filed prior to March 1, 2020
  • Provides working capital only
  • Loan limits between $5,000 to $20,000
  • For-profit and tax-exempt businesses with 100 or fewer employees that have been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 outbreak

Call 833.238.4450 weekdays from 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m

Email at:

B. EWDD: Economics & Workforce Development Department:

Links to COVID19 Resources

Job Resources

Virtual Orientations:

Business Resources

Small Business Emergency Microloan:

Microloan Application:


Small Business Resilience Toolkit:

Business Source Centers:

Worksource Centers:

Youthsource Centers:

Business Source Centers contact info at:

Questions: or call 213.744.7130

Below is a graphic outlining the main points of differentiation between the EIDL (Economic Injury Disaster Loan) and the PPP (Paycheck Protection Program) loans.

Updated 04/06/2020:

Federal Coronavirus Small Business Assistance

If you need cash to offset lost revenue and help keep your business afloat, the programs below can help. The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) coronavirus resource page provides a list of relief programs, and it offers guidance to small business owners during this crisis.

SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loan Program

As part of its disaster assistance program, the SBA is providing low-interest working capital loans of up to $2 million to small businesses and nonprofits affected by the coronavirus.

These loans carry an interest rate of 3.75% for small businesses and 2.75% for nonprofits. Loan repayment terms vary by applicant, up to a maximum of 30 years. 

Who’s Eligible

  • As of March 23, businesses in every state plus American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands can apply.
  • You can use the loan to cover accounts payable, debts, payroll and other bills the coronavirus has affected your ability to pay.

How to Apply

  • Apply online and select “Economic Injury” as the reason you’re seeking assistance. 
  • You’ll need to supply required supporting documentation that could include the business’s most recent tax returns, a personal financial statement and a schedule of liabilities that lists all your current debts. 
  • Call the SBA Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center at 1-800-659-2955 for help with your application.

State and Local Coronavirus Small Business Assistance

States and municipalities are adding programs by the day. Check your governor’s website for up-to-date information about relief available in your area. The National Governors Association offers a list of governors’ websites


Property Tax Payments

Tax collectors have issued notices saying they don’t have the power to waive the property tax deadline — even though tax offices are being closed to the public. But local officials will consider waiving late fees on a case-by-case basis for those unable to pay on time because they are ill or out of work because of the coronavirus outbreak. The April 10th date is a statutory deadline set by the state.  It cannot be moved without state intervention.

San Francisco COVID-19 Small Business Resiliency Fund

Businesses with between one and five employees can apply for up to $10,000 in emergency funding to help cover rent and employee salaries.

  • Who’s eligible: You must show that you lost 25% or more of your revenue, that you have less than $2.5 million in gross receipts and that you’re properly licensed to operate in San Francisco.
  • How to apply: The quickest way is to fill out an online application form and email it to You’ll need to supply proof of payroll costs and lost revenue.

The City of San Francisco has also initiated a moratorium on evictions for small- and medium-sized businesses whose revenue has been affected by the coronavirus. It’s effective for 30 days starting March 17, and the mayor has the capability to extend it for another 30 days. 

City of Los Angeles Small Business Emergency Microloan Program

Businesses and microenterprises in Los Angeles that are responsible for providing low-income jobs can get an emergency microloan of $5,000 to $20,000. Loans with repayment terms of six months to one year carry an interest rate of 0% and five-year loans have interest rates of 3% to 5%. 

  • Who’s eligible: To get a loan, you must meet requirements including having “reasonable and responsible” individual credit history, committing to use the loan for working capital only and ensuring your business is located within the City of Los Angeles. If you own 20% or more of the business, you must guarantee the loan.
  • How to apply: Apply online and provide supporting documentation including business and personal tax returns, three months of bank statements and business and personal financial statements.

Los Angeles has also instituted a moratorium on evictions of businesses impacted by the coronavirus through March 31.

EDD Work Sharing Program

Employers can apply for the Unemployment Insurance (UI) Work Sharing Program if reduced production, services, or other conditions cause them to seek an alternative to layoffs.

The Work Sharing Program helps employees whose hours and wages have been reduced:

  • Receive UI benefits.
  • Keep their current job.
  • Avoid financial hardships.

The Work Sharing Program helps employers:

  • Minimize or eliminate the need for layoffs.
  • Keep trained employees and quickly prepare when business conditions improve.
  • Avoid the cost of recruiting, hiring, and training new employees.


To participate, employers must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be a legally registered business in California.
  • Have an active California State Employer Account Number.
  • At least 10 percent of the employer’s regular workforce or a unit of the workforce, and a minimum of two employees, must be affected by a reduction in hours and wages.
  • Hours and wages must be reduced by at least 10 percent and not exceed 60 percent.
  • Health benefits must remain the same as before, or they must meet the same standards as other employees who are not participating in Work Sharing.
  • Retirement benefits must meet the same terms and conditions as before, or they must meet the same as other employees not participating in Work Sharing.
  • The collective bargaining agent of employees in a bargaining unit must agree to voluntarily participate and sign the application for Work Sharing.
  • Identify the affected work units to be covered by the Work Sharing plan and identify each participating employee by their full name and Social Security number.
  • Notify employees in advance of the intent to participate in the Work Sharing program.
  • Identify how many layoffs will be avoided by participating in the Work Sharing program.
  • Provide the EDD with any necessary reports or documents relating to the Work Sharing plan.


  • Leased, intermittent, seasonal, or temporary service employees cannot participate in the Work Sharing Program.
  • Corporate officers or major stock holders with investment in the company cannot participate in the Work Sharing Program.
  • The Work Sharing Program cannot be used as a transition to a layoff.

Plan Application

Apply for a Work Sharing plan by completing and mailing the Work Sharing (WS) Unemployment Insurance Plan Application (DE 8686) (PDF) .

The earliest date for a new Work Sharing plan to become effective is the Sunday before the first date you contact the EDD. All Work Sharing plans are approved for one year.

Employers can renew a Work Sharing plan by completing and mailing the Work Sharing (WS) Unemployment Insurance Plan Application (DE 8686) (PDF). A Work Sharing plan will be renewed the day after your previous plan expires.

Note: Your plan application will only renew if it is submitted no more than 10 days after your previous plan has expired. Otherwise, your plan will become effective the Sunday before the date we receive your application.

Contact Us

If you need additional information on the Work Sharing Program, contact the EDD Special Claims Office at 916-464-3343. 

Work Sharing Application (DE 8686)
Unemployment Insurance An Alternative to Layoffs: Work Sharing (DE 2329) (PDF)

FAQs – Work Sharing Information for Employees
A Guide For Work Sharing Employers (DE 8684) (PDF)

A list of resources to stay informed about the Coronavirus outbreak:


LATEST UPDATES SECTION (updated 04/04/2020)

Hollywood’s businesses are facing an unprecedented economic disruption due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Below you will find a comprehensive list of important business funding resources for our members that are being financially impacted.


Small businesses and restaurants have been especially hard hit by the virus and the Order For the Control of COVID-19. Following is a list of resources available to businesses and restaurants:

Notes: Both Type 41 and 47 ABC licenses (beer/wine for restaurants and full liquor for restaurants) permit beer and wine for off-site consumption UNLESS their Conditional Use Permit CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL or ABC license CONDITIONS specifically PROHIBITS off-site sales. The ABC may even be lifting conditions restricting off-site sales soon – will keep you posted.

  • ABC just posted some regulatory relief: Retailers Exercising Off-Sale PrivilegesRelevant section: Licensees with on-sale privileges may sell those alcoholic beverages for off-sale consumption in manufacturer pre-packaged containers as to which their license permits on-sale consumption. For example, a Type 47 restaurant may sell beer, wine, and distilled spirits for off-sale consumption, regardless of any condition on its license to the contrary and regardless of the statutory prohibition against on-sale licensees selling distilled spirits for off-sale consumption. Similarly, a Type 41 beer and wine licensed restaurant may sell beer and wine, but not distilled spirits, for consumption off the premises regardless of any conditions on its license that prohibit such sales.

Type 41 – On Sale Beer & Wine – Eating Place:

(Restaurant) Authorizes the sale of beer and wine for consumption on or off the premises where sold. Distilled spirits may not be on the premises (except brandy, rum, or liqueurs for use solely for cooking purposes). Must operate and maintain the licensed premises as a bona fide eating place. Must maintain suitable kitchen facilities, and must make actual and substantial sales of meals for consumption on the premises. Minors are allowed on the premises.

Type 47 – On Sale General – Eating Place:

(Restaurant) Authorizes the sale of beer, wine and distilled spirits for consumption on the license’s premises. Authorizes the sale of beer and wine for consumption off the license’s premises. Must operate and maintain the licensed premises as a bona fide eating place. Must maintain suitable kitchen facilities and must make actual and substantial sales of meals for consumption on the premises. Minors are allowed on the premises.

For those licensees permitted to sell food and alcoholic beverages for consumption off the premises (including on-sale licenses with off-sale privileges), you should follow the specific guidance from State and local health officials.  Some of that guidance is accessible through the following links:

Other Local Resource Guides